Saturday, November 21, 2015

From student Teba Saleh: Graffitti near the site of the Boston bombing.


On April 15, 2013, two bombs were exploded by the finish line of the annual Boston Marathon, killing three people and wounding more than 260 others. Suspects were 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, and 26-year-old Tamerlan. Tamerlan died early in the investigation during a shootout with law enforcement. Investigators eventually discovered that the Tsarnaevs were not connected to any terrorist organizations. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is scheduled to receive the death penalty. My first piece of artwork is actually a picture that I took myself of some graffiti near the sight of the Boston bombing. Written on it are the words “How many bombs will it take to make peace?”  I think about this piece of art all the time. I wonder who made it, how he or she was connected to the bombing, it at all, or if he or she simply felt the pain of it from a distance and felt the need to express it somehow. I suppose I’ll never know and that comforts me for some reason, as if knowing whom it was would be too horrific. Also in way, it makes it so that anyone could have made it, and in a sense then, everyone has made it, and it exists for all people. I don’t believe there is any specific controversy surrounding this graffiti and I can’t imagine why there would be. Its message hits home and points out a major flaw in our society. We as individuals and as a nation claim to want peace yet seem to think the best way to do so is through war. My aunts who live in Boston told me that when the graffiti first showed up, it had many visitors and people would leave candles and wishes and offerings near the location. And when I saw it for the first time, I saw some of this. And it really was moving to see people gather around this tragedy. However, I have since revisited the site of the graffiti and no people just pass in without a second glimpse. The tragedy remains in their hearts but people have moved on. And I think its important that people do so, but its sad to see it be slowly forgotten. 

No comments:

Post a Comment